You probably have not gone up to your attic in maybe, a year or two? While attics are found in every home, they are easily one of the least used places. You either keep one just to store your stuff, or it just exists. Since an attic is not used very frequently, it is an ideal spot for mold to grow. You are not even likely to notice the mold growth until it becomes excessive, and then you would have to fish out a ton of money to remove it and renovate.

This sounds like a lot of work and it indeed is. So if you have not been up to your attic in a while, now is the time to check if your attic has signs of mold infestation. Attic mold is mainly caused by excess moisture, which can be the result of:

  • Poor ventilation: most attics are not built with proper ventilation, which traps the air inside leading to excess moisture build-up.
  • Poor insulation: if your home is not insulated well, then air from one part of the house can travel to other spaces and condense there.
  • Presence of exhaust vents: in most houses, all exhaust vents release directly in the attic instead of outside. On one hand, this lowers the chances of birds building nests and animals getting in, but creates the perfect condition for attic mold to grow and thrive.
  • Roof leaks: a very common cause of attic mold- this can be a result of improper roofing, which allows moisture to seep in. Attic mold only needs a little amount of moisture to start growing, so even the tiniest leak can cause problems.

So the question remains- how to get rid of attic mold? The first thing to keep in mind is- search for the cause of the mold and fix that first, because if moisture keeps coming in after fixing the mold initially, it will grow again. It is not advised to fix attic mold by yourself unless you are a professional since there are many health risks involved. Even if it is a small infestation, it is likely to grow, so contact your local mold removal contractors.

There are many treatments to remove mold, such as:

  1. Dry ice blasting: cold pellets are blasted directly on the mold and the thermal shock ensures its removal. This is a fool-proof process but can be expensive.
  2. Chemical treatments: the use of fungicides can be applied to kill the mold, but it still needs to be removed from the walls and ceilings.
  3. Natural remedies: a number of household goods can be combined to kill mold, such as tea tree oil and white vinegar/ hydrogen peroxide. Using a wet vacuum can help kill the mold, and using fans and dehumidifiers will remove any excess moisture.

 

It should be kept in mind that attic mold can cause structural damage to the roof and walls if not checked properly. Extensive infestation may call for the replacement of these parts as well. A mold treatment is likely to be effective only if the underlying causes of moisture retention are tackled first.

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.