Black mold is extensively found in many households in Canada and is a real threat to your health. It can also affect your pets. Black mold generally grows best in warm conditions and requires excessive moisture for a long period of time. It is found in the leaks inside the walls, above ceilings or sometimes under floors as well.
Black mold can lead to many health problems. Its symptoms include asthma, congestion, nausea and a few skin problems. The most common ones being, weakness and fatigue, frequent headaches, poor memory, joint pain and stiffness when waking up, numbness, cough, sensitivity to light, and many others. Mold also cause acute asthma. Having these symptoms do not necessarily indicate the presence of mold but if you have one or more of the above symptoms, you must check your home for mold.
Fortunately, there are many ways to prevent and reduce the seriousness of a mold problem. Here are a few tips that would come in handy while dealing with a mold problem.
Bleach is considered to be the most effective remedy for treating mold. It must only be used on non-porous surfaces as it can’t penetrate into rocks or wood. Make sure to dilute the bleach before using it and always wear protective gloves. Keep the windows of your home open and maintain proper ventilation, lest the toxic fumes from the bleach might cause irritation to eyes or skin. If not sure, you must call mold removers.
- Baking soda and vinegar
Unlike bleach, the baking soda and vinegar combination is not toxic and is equally effective in removing mold. Baking soda is basic and vinegar is acidic and their reaction produces sodium acetate and water, which helps remove mold.
- Hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide has proven to be an excellent alternative to bleach. It can also be used on non-porous surfaces as opposed to bleach, which can only be used on porous surfaces. It can seep down and kill the mold at its root.
- Get a purifier
A good quality air purifier can go a long way in prevention of mold growth. It can eliminate almost all mold spores in the air and hence hinder its growth.
- Regular inspection of your home
Check for leaks and water patches in and around your home frequently, as they prove to be the breeding grounds for mold. It is easier to treat them if detected in the earlier stages.
Now, these tips are only to be taken into consideration if the problem is not very serious. If you find excessive mold in your house, never try to remove it (especially black mold). Such mold release large amounts of spores which could increase your health problems. You must take professional help as they are trained and experienced in dealing with such situations. They would be able to remove the mold with little or no disturbance making it easier for you to recover.